Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 14 - the two week point - PHOTOS

You might be able to argue that tomorrow is actually the 2 week point, since my surgery was on a wednesday and today is tuesday... But you can also argue that its day 14 so thats what i'm going with.  So, in honor of this 2 week point, I'm posting some photos.



I do look a little different....but there is still some swelling to account for, even though it has gone down drastically. I think also part of the looking different is that because of the numbness I cant make the expressions that i normally make.  I've been told not to make any judgements on my appearance until the 5 week mark at least.



no changes to my  weird  fun personality of course. :)


Over the last 2 weeks I've covered a lot of ground.  I've gone from looking like an orangutan (really, thats not a joke...) to a pretty normal looking person again.  I've gone from only being capable of consuming liquid meds to taking pills. (score!) I've gone from needing vicodin every 6 hours, to barely once a day.  I've gone from being too weak to stand up myself and only being able to stand for 5-10 minutes at a time and needing to sleep every 2 hours, to now finally being able to get through a whole day and walk around as much as i need to.  I've gone from waking up every few hours during the night, to now being able to sleep a whole night normally.  I can also now talk pretty well, drink out of a cup and kind of use a tiny spoon.  Also, just today i decided that some scrambled eggs would be okay...so i broke them into extremely TINY pieces so i could #1, get them into my mouth which still can't open very wide and #2 swallow without chewing. It felt SO good to eat something other than soup or a smoothie, even if i couldn't chew it. We're making progress!

Still though..
  • no feeling in my lower lip, chin, the roof of my mouth and parts of my nose
  • annoying tingly feelings in my chin...they're definitely worse at night when i'm trying to sleep
  • headaches almost all the time
  • i said i could talk pretty well....but its really not 100% there
  • Just like the talking, my energy is almost all back, but still not 100%
  • i can't make a smile that shows my teeth
  • jaws still rubberbanded shut   -see last post....
  • And the worst....I still can't chew

I've come a long way... But I still have a long way to go... Thank you so much to everyone who's sent gifts and cards by the way!  Nothin' like love to make you feel better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment